Washing machine drum not spinning / jammed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

I had to run downstairs about half an hour ago, as the washing machine suddenly started making a loud, protesting grinding noise.

I noticed it had jammed, as it wasn't spinning at all. Turned it off, emptied the load. The drum is impossible to spin by hand.

I took the top off to have a look inside and see if there was any problem with the belt. It looks to be exactly where it should be. I have no expertise with washing machines, so I didn't do anything more than just take a look inside and didn't touch anything.

If I try turning it on again, the drum still refuses to spin - the motor certainly sounds like it is trying to work, but something is stopping it spinning the drum. It worked absolutely fine all the way through the cycle, and the problem seems to have been a sudden one rather than something that has gradually been getting worse. Is it possible for string or a cord from some clothing to have slipped through a hole in the drum? This seems pretty unlikely to me?

Any ideas?

The machine is a Hotpoint First Edition 1000 - I've had 5 good years of use out of it in a household of 6 people, so it has had a hell of a lot of use, so it will be a shame if it is totally knackered, but hardly surprising!

Many thanks, John :)

Sponsored Links
poss have a sock jammed in the drum was it noisy over the last few days could be bearing/ drum surport collasped

grab two of the drum paddles and twist, if that doesnt work , twist it the other way. (if the paddles are plastic dont try this) the idea is if it is a sock you can free it, then you need to remove it , if it still dont go then yes i agree with the bearings giving up, but this is usualy preceeded by being noisy on spin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back