Washing machine has drained into concrete floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope this is in the right section :)

The waste for my washing machine was left unconnected to the drain for a couple of days. There was about 5 washes done at about 40 litres a wash.

The water has all seeped away into the concrete screed floor in the downstairs cupboard where the machine is and is drying quickly at the surface as I have Under floor heating pipes in the concrete. The wet patch did not spread out very far in the cupboard and appears to have run down into the lower floor layers.

The floor is made up of a concrete screed with the Under floor heating pipes in, then a layer of insulation boards then the main concrete floor layer. Below this is the damp proof membrane.

Should I be overly worried about 200 litres or so of washing machine waste getting into the insulation and concrete floor? Will this dry out in time even though there is a damp proof membrane down there?

Any pointers on how to sort this one?

Thanks very much

Andy

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd not worry about it - just keep the floor clear so that it can breathe, keep the heating on and allow plenty of air circulation.
John :)

Thanks John

Would a de-humidifier be of any use for this sort of thing?

Cheers, Andy

Sponsored Links
It wouldn't do any harm, but I'd not go and buy one especially for this job - bearing in mind that the temperature needs to be over 10 deg anyway for them to perform properly.
Just expect a few white salts to appear on the screed surface - brush them away and let the UFH do the rest for you.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back