Washing machine in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I'm planning to install a washing machine in my bathroom. I believe it's building regs compliant but I wanted to check. I plan to use the socket outside the room to provide power (see picture). I'm unsure of the following and would really appreciate advice:

1. Do I need to enclose the appliance in a cupboard? I probably will anyway, it will look better.

2. What's the best way to make the electrical connection? The shaded bit of wall is solid brick. I could drill through, but not sure the best way to protect the cable. Or I could route along to the hollow wall part and go through more easily. I'd then use external plastic duct above the skirting board to take the cable to the socket, which I could replace with a switch, or leave as is an just have the WM plug dangling.

3. What would a pro do?

Many thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
First things first……
You have not given any measurements.
What is the distance from the shower to the washing machine?
Does your washing machine's maker agree that it is suitable to be operated in a steamy bathroom?

Good questions. Distance between the front of the shower and the front of the WM is about 1.5m.

I can find no information about the environmental humidity tolerance of the machine. The installation manual does not mention it. I think a cupboard will help keep condensation from forming though.

It's quite normal elsewhere in Europe.

I couldn't imagine not having it in a cupboard though!

Sponsored Links
It's quite normal elsewhere in Europe.
Power sockets in bathrooms are quite normal elsewhere in Europe too. But not here.

Suggest you read this document from the UK Appliance Manufacturers re the siting of appliances in bathrooms.
http://www.amdea.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Appliances-in-bathrooms_July09.pdf
Also read the bathroom zones requirements in the WIKI
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:bathroom_zones

If you feel teh WM is suitable, then a "Pro" would have a flex outlet point in the bathroom fed from a fused spur outside the bathroom.
The supply, of course, must be RCD protected.
And the electrical work may be notifiable.

Yes that's your safest solution and if you already have an RCD on that socket circuit it won't be too expensive :D

You could drill a hole in the wall and refit the plug! :mrgreen:

It's of course entirely up too you.

DS

you can have a flex outlet in the bathroom, but not a socket.

Quite a good idea to have an FCU outside the bathroom feeding the flex outlet, but it must be visible and easily accessible. If that can't be done, have a FCU with flex outlet inside the bathroom, outside zones.

see also //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:bathroom_zones

If you feel teh WM is suitable, then a "Pro" would have a flex outlet point in the bathroom fed from a fused spur outside the bathroom. The supply, of course, must be RCD protected.
And the electrical work may be notifiable.
Whilst little is impossible, it would seem very unlikley that the work would be notifiable. The WM itself is to be well outside of bathroom zones, and the proposal does not appear to be to install a 'new circuit' for the WM.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back