Washing Machine Power Loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a strange issue with my washing machine. About once a month, it won't turn on. I normally change the fuse in the plug and it works again but the last couple of times, I've just taken the fuse out, waited a couple of seconds and put it back in and it works. Turning the plug off for a few seconds does NOT work. Does this sound like a fault with the machine, electrics or something else? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Show us some photos of the plug and the socket please. Close up and looking straight in. I am looking for signs of wear or overheating.

Do you plug a tumble drier into the same socket?

Sponsored Links
Is it a plug and socket or a FCU. I find every so often my light switch fails, theory removing bulb should stop any power going through the switch, so it should re-boot, but in practice I have to turn off the RCBO count 5 and turn it back on again.

It may be simply time, as said I have to count to 5 when turning off RCBO, but it may be still getting some voltage, maybe a voltage neutral to earth which is not removed when turning a single pole switch off.

I have seem an appliance which does a safety check on switch on, it was not a washing machine, but if it detected earth loss it would lock out, again need all power removing to reset, and it took count of 10 before plugging back in.

Pictures always good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back