Washing Machine Standpipe Overflowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My washing machine stand pipe waste seems to be overflowing over the top of the standpipe and onto the floor when the washing machine pumps out.

It has been fine uptil now - I plumbed the washing machine in 9 months ago and the previous washing machine (before it broke) never had a problem either.

My first instinct is blockage - but where? - it still drains, just not quickly enough for the standpipe not to fill up. The standpipe goes directly to the soil stack afterwards.... whereas the dishwasher connects in under the 1 1/2 bowl sink and then into the soil stack (these dont overflow)

I have noticed the sink fill up slightly when this happens as well.

Any ideas and/or remedies?

Sponsored Links
I take it that the standpipe has a trap at the bottom of it before it carries on its merry way to the soil stack?

the stand pipe i assume goes thought a 180 bend before entering the stack...so i would imaging that this is blocked or partially bloked with soap scum or washed out 10 pound notes.

some heavy duty drain cleaner or a good hard rodding should surfice

Sponsored Links
I have noticed the sink fill up slightly when this happens as well.
Missed that bit :oops: Could be a slight blockage at the invert of the stack. Washing machines pump out a lot of water quickly, causing a bit of a back up. After checking the trap and/or the pipe as super says, if this doesn't improve things then you may need to find a rodding point to get to the stack.

or washed out 10 pound notes.

Money laundering is ILLEGAL! ;)

lol

Yes the standpipe goes down then back up in a 'U' bend type way as it should.

So the general consensus is that it is the 'U' that is partially blocked? Its the fact that the sink backfills slightly that is puzzling me as the sink and washing machine wastes don't actually link up until downstream at the soil stack..... im hoping the blockage isnt there.

if they are both backing up then it blocked before they join together not at the standpipe

9 month old install and its blocked. i'd have my suspicions

no no, washing machine 9 months old.... not the waste system.

I was just mentioning the m/c is 9 months old as opposed to installed today so you good people could rule out me not putting the waste in the standpipe deeply enough!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back