Washing machine still smells - after full cleaning

I don't know about the kilo claim... years ago I had to extend the waste hose on my mum's washing machine. She tends to do 30 degree washes. The gunk does build up in the hose.

One day I had to deal with it- that pretty much means that I removed the pipe from the sink end and blew through it until the gunk turned up in the drum. I have since recommended that she does a 90 degree wash from to time.

Our machine must be near 12 years old now, and last year I had to do the drum bearings - of course I did a thorough check whilst it was in bits, but there was no signs of any build up anywhere, all clean as a whistle. Default wash, is a low temperature one.

Sponsored Links
Most people use too much powder and fabsoft, which does not fully dissolve and wash away. Low temperature washes are worse. Fabsoft contains wax.

A cup of washing soda crystals softens the water and breaks down the sludge. You can usually wash towels with soda and no powder and no fabsoft on a hot wash, the water will go grey and foam up as the soap residue washes out and the towels will come out whiter and softer because the scum and wax has washed away.

Our machine must be near 12 years old now, and last year I had to do the drum bearings - of course I did a thorough check whilst it was in bits, but there was no signs of any build up anywhere, all clean as a whistle. Default wash, is a low temperature one.

I do not doubt you.

I suspect that my extending the flexible hose exacerbated the build up. I only wanted to extend it by 1m but, from memory I could only purchase 2m lengths.

I do not doubt you.

I suspect that my extending the flexible hose exacerbated the build up. I only wanted to extend it by 1m but, from memory I could only purchase 2m lengths.

I installed a pipe and trap for each appliance, directly behind each position, the only shared part, is where it goes out through the wall. Never had an issue with smells or back flow.

Sponsored Links
I installed a pipe and trap for each appliance, directly behind each position, the only shared part, is where it goes out through the wall. Never had an issue with smells or back flow.

Not space for a pipe/trap behind my mum's Miele.

When her previous Miele died, I had to hack away some of the plaster on the wall to make it fit flush. For some bizarre reason the bulge on the back protruded past the edge of the top lid. Other than extending the waste pipe, I also had to fit a longer 1.5mm power flex.

Guys, thanks for the replies. I've only just been able to take pics.

See below:

aINAkRj.jpg

4OKfWHw.jpg

5bcSL0M.jpg

Total drop maybe 10cm.

More than happy to get hands dirty and take out the pipe and clean.
But... will wait to hear what you guys say first.
Not sure how I can best make drop and then rise 2/3rds - do I need to get extra pipe?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back