Washing machine tripping RCD board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and thanks for reading.

We have got a Hotpoint WD865, 1600 spin washer dryer (never used as a dryer). It is three years old an has be a reliable unit. Over the last few weeks it has started tripping the RCD board out just after it has started doing its 1600 spin. It will work fine for the majority of the wash but when it starts the higher speed spin the board will trip either at the beginning of the spin or during the spin.

I have checked all feed and discharge hoses and there are no blockages etc, the unit is level with good ventilation as well. I have checked the fuse (moulded plug) and even removed the single wall socket to check the connecting wires and everything is sound.

Any ideas on what i can/should do next???

Thanks for reading!!!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
might be a wire inside that is chafed through the insulation and touching something when the machine wobbles or lurches. The fact that it trips when running fast makes me think of this. more commonly it is an internal water leak, very uncommonly it might be carbon dust in the motor (if washing machine motors still have brushes?)

you could unplug it and take the top off and look for damage especially around the wiring.

With luck you will get a more informed suggestion from an appliance expert.

Cheers for that John, think I will do that next. If nothing jumps out at me then I may have to call an engineer!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Damp dust most likely could be on boards or on/in motor.

Sometimes a dry paint brush is enough to remove the dust build up. It does need some common sense.

With it un-plugged vacuum cleaner to clean out any dust.

Using some drying agent like WD40 may help. But WD40 is inflammable so do not use where there may be sparks, and leave for some time before using so any excess will evaporate. Switch cleaner is better, but again some switch cleaner will melt some plastics, so test first. At work we would dry off with an air line so only the thinnest film remained.

I have seen motors explode where the apprentice has not allowed them to dry out first. So don't over do it.

I wouldn't use WD40 on anything other than squeaky hinges. Don't even consider using it on the pcb. If you have an intermittent earth fault get it tracked down by a suitably qualified person using the correct test equipment.

Possible cause if it is only happening during fast spin speed is totally worn down motor brushes with the copper tail arcing on the commutator. Not very common but I have seen this.

Possible cause if it is only happening during fast spin speed is totally worn down motor brushes with the copper tail arcing on the commutator. Not very common but I have seen this.

I had my machine doing exactly the same thing. I went into my repair shop, described the problem, and he explained how to remove the main motor (like taking an alternator off a car), did so, took it to the shop, he set it up on his test rig and BANG!!!!! The RCD trip went. He looked a little shaken up when he returned? But it wasn't the brushes, maybe a shorted wire?

And now the blasted thing has YET another fault, BANG BANG BANG!!! Flaming washing machine! Got to strip it down again tomorrow. 4 faults in as many years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back