Washing machine waste back flow into kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new home and found that when my washing machine is draining water is coming up through sink, it only fills about one third of the sink, dont think there is a blockage because the water drains away quickly enough when you fill the sink and drain it, I know there is a rather long run on the waste pipe before it enters the main waste pipe and presume this has something to do with it. Is there any simple method of resolving this like a no return fitting that can be installed between sink and washing macine waste connector to stop back flow

Sponsored Links
Not sure where your washing machine waste goes to;

If the hose goes directly into the sink trap then you can't have any kind of non-return valve because the water is going in the direction it is supposed to ie: away from the w/machine.

If the waste goes into a 40mm pipe via a clamped fitting then suppose you could fit a 40mm non-return valve on the sink side of the waste pipe if there is enough space. Personally I would suspect some kind of blockage though.

Either your trap or your waste pipe running to the stack is blocked. Clean it out and all will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back