Washing machine waste extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've extended my washing machine waste hose using one of these:

Wickes anti siphon part

I used this part, as a standard waste hose connector didn't give me a very tight fit and leaked slightly. This one fits really tightly. I've blocked up the small hole on the valve and jubilee clipped it and there doesn't seem to be any leaks.

I just wanted to check with anyone with plumbing knowledge that this is ok? I'm not sure what the anti-siphon does, as the part just seems to be open, but with a simple valve at the side.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The anti-syphon, will stop back flow of grey water/waste water to entering back in to the machine. Much like a check valve. Most modern machine will already have this device integrated into the machine or waste pipe, failing that it would be important to have a trap with an air gap to prevent back syphoning.

Thanks,
So it's acting as a secondary safety mechanism to stop water flowing back into the machine?

Could I ask - what is the purpose of the small hole at the side of the valve? I've blocked it off so water doesn't drip out.

Has water been dripping out of it?
I cannot load up your link, so can only go on what a anti-syphon does.
Has it been fitted the correct way around regarding direction of flow.

Sponsored Links
That's the valve. I think the wickes website is down at the moment. There doesn't seem to be any indication of a way it should go!

It looks like there area some arrows point towards the direction of flow on the body of the valve, were they no instructions with this item? I would be surprised if there was any need to block a hole up on the unit!

That looks like an anti-siphon connector for a hosepipe - the drip is coming from what I think is a test port.

It's not suitable for your purpose and may well prevent the machine from emptying properly.

That looks like an anti-siphon connector for a hosepipe - the drip is coming from what I think is a test port.

It's not suitable for your purpose and may well prevent the machine from emptying properly.

I don't understand why it's not suitable, as it's meant for use on a washing machine water hose. The arrows are in the direction of water flow.

My apologies - just managed to get the link up on the Wickes website.

Appears to be designed for the purpose you stated but the first two reviews on their site state they had the same problem as you with water leaking from the vent hole. Suggests that there may be a design problem unless it's been fitted backwards?

Thanks for your replies.
In the end I bought one long waste hose, pulled out the washing machine and re-connected it all. One hose instead of two connected together dubiously. Hopefully that's problem solved!

For reference, this is not a non return valve. It is a straight connector with an air inlet valve. It is meant to be located at the highest point of the waste pipe and will allow air into the pipe instead of it siphoning water up out of the trap.
I imagine that if you mount it on the floor then it may well leak, it would need some pressure in the pipe to hold the air valve closed.
If mounted high, above the trap, it should be effective at preventing siphon, which is only one cause of waste flowing the wrong way. It would not protect the machine from a blocked drain backing up higher than the high point in the waste pipe.

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back