Washing machine waste question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm just moving into a new house, and am trying to sort out the plumbing for a washing machine. Basically, it used to be on one wall next to the standpipe, but now the other half wants this shifted across the room to the other wall. I cannot extend the stand pipe there (there is a door in the way), so had thought about maybe running a waste hose extension under the floor then back up into the stand pipe. I have boarded the floor out and there is approx 2.5" gap under the floor.

So it would go from the back (top) of the washing machine, down under the floor, across about 2.5-3M, then back up and into a stand pipe which is approx 650mm from the floor. Id say the total run from back of the machine would be 3.5M.

Would this work? Or is there any other way to get the install in this location?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. Check with the washing machine maker that it will work with this length of waste hose.

2. Most extensions are no longer than 2.5 metres, so you will end up with a join under the floorboards. If it leaks you;ll need access.

3. You are going to have about 5 litres of water sitting in a giant "U" trap. Could cause a smell

Try and talk her out of it

Thanks for the response.

The previous owners left the WM behind (which is the machine we are going to use), their original install was roughly where we are wanting to put it now, and they just had the waste hose running along the floor to a spigot trap.

The main differences between their install and ours is that ours will be going into a stand pipe rather than a spigot, and be about 500mm longer in hose length. and of course, a few inches lower. I assume this worked ok for them, so I am hoping it will be ok with some slight adjustments!

I have managed to find a extension hose which is 3.5M in length. This is probably a bit too long but I can trim it to suit. (need about 3M).

Other than that possible smell, is there any other issue this may cause?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont think it'll work. Machine needs hose to rise before discharging (or machine will empty by gravity), the water is pumped out by the machine at appropriate intervals. Once it gets over the high point it drains away by gravity. You cannot alter the arrangement specified by the manufacturer and expect it to work.....

Having a long horizontal run could cause 'used' water to be drawn back into the machine after it has been pumped out. Suspect you'll either need to get a 40mm waste to the new location, leave the machine in it's current position or spend a fortune on a Sanivite to pump the waste.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back