Washing machine waste.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move my washing machine out of the kitchen and into a small cubby i have to make more room in the kitchen. I am wondering if i can run my washing machine waste into the basin waste pipe which is in the adjoinning room ?. Iam thinking of using a stand pipe and taking the pipe through the wall and teeing into the waste from the bathroom basin. Is this ok to do. The run is only a few foot and the basin waste pipe is in 1 1/4.

Sponsored Links
There shouldn't be a problem with this.

If you think about it, the 32mm/1 1/4'' waste pipe has a much bigger bore than the flexi pipe that's attached to the machine. It can easily handle the water volume.

Just fit an anti- vacuam trap to the sink if you get any problems with induced syphonage in the sink trap. This is where the flow of water from the machine causes a vacuam and tries to draw the water out of the sink trap. This scenario is highly unlikely though.

The flexi pipe on the washing machine is smaller but the water is being pumped out of the machine, usually at quite a rapid rate. Once it gets into the standpipe you are relying on gravity to take it away, hence the standpipe being 40mm diameter.

It would be advisable to either increase the pipe to 40mm from the washing machine connection or provide separate 40mm waste dedicated to the washing machine. Wastes can get clogged with soap/hair etc, reducing useful diameter even further.

lol, slightly comflicting advice there. I was thinking of renewing the waste for the basin also, but as this runs behind the bath that would involve a lot of extra work. So will the 32mm be ok ?

Sponsored Links
I am wondering if i can run my washing machine waste into the basin waste pipe which is in the adjoinning room ?
No. You can't do that.

Iam thinking of using a stand pipe and taking the pipe through the wall and teeing into the waste from the bathroom basin. Is this ok to do.
No.

The run is only a few foot and the basin waste pipe is in 1 1/4.
That's why you can't do it. The washing machine waste pipe must be at least 40mm, and if you join the basin waste to that then you should increase to 50mm pipe or fit an air admittance valve at the basin trap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back