Washing machine wont fill, water keeps going on and off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little hard to describe but I just went to put some washing on and the water stop-starts repeatedly. I'll probably call the legendary local repair guy but anything I should check first? Turned off and on again etc already.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have you checked the filter? It may, or may not be the case that it is not allowing water to drain. Something else worth checking is the drain out pipe. In the past I have blown down blocked drain pipes, with the filter removed, to dislodge obstructions in the drain pipe. BTW, blow not suck...

I'll check but I put it on a drain cycle and it ran that fine. I only just put laundry in and out didn't start to fill in the first place so I don't think it's an issue of something being stuck and preventing drainage unless there's a sensor that stops it from filling if there's something in the filter.

I'll check but I put it on a drain cycle and it ran that fine. I only just put laundry in and out didn't start to fill in the first place so I don't think it's an issue of something being stuck and preventing drainage unless there's a sensor that stops it from filling if there's something in the filter.

Check the water level sensor, it's pipe may be obstructed. It's attached to a small pipe, which runs from somewhere low down on the machine (drain pump?), runs up to a diaphragm pressure switch. Latter is like a pancake shaped object, usually near the top body case, with a couple of wires connected to it. I'm thinking the pipe might be partially obstructed, so it's repeatedly sensing up to correct level, then finding it needs more...

Detach pipe from the sensor at the top, and try blowing down it. If it's not completely free, poke a wire down it to clear it.

Sponsored Links
The water feed valve in the machine could be clogged up from scale. (Removed)

Unfortunately I'm the one who does the DIY around here. The husband just pays for stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a further test, open the machine and pour water into the drum until you can see a significant amount sitting in the bottle of the drum. The close the door and see if it all drains away.

I am literally clutching at straws here.

A really good forum for white goods is

(Removed)

As a further test, open the machine and pour water into the drum until you can see a significant amount sitting in the bottle of the drum. The close the door and see if it all drains away.

I am literally clutching at straws here.

A really good forum for white goods is

If someone there is able to help you, please post back here.

My guess is that it probably is the water level sensor. Pulling the machine out is a giant pain in the backside but I have a feeling that's what I'll have to do.

My guess is that it probably is the water level sensor. Pulling the machine out is a giant pain in the backside but I have a feeling that's what I'll have to do.

How much water enters the drum before it cuts out?

Still diggin' your hole... At some point are you gonna need a "real" man to help you continue digging it?

Before pulling it out, ensure that the flex, cold water in and waste pipe are sufficiently long enough.

A couple of years ago, I pulled my mum's Miele washing machine forward. I (stupidly) didn't unplug the flex, as I pulled it forward the live crimp inside jumped off and tripped the RCD. I ended up paying for new uninsulated crimps, a suitable crimping tool and longer 1.5mm flex. Total cost was about £50... but I now have loads of the crimps...

Tie some string around each of the above so that you can pull them back into the area under the sink(?).

You haven't mentioned which washing machine you have- if it is a better quality german machine, you may need a set of Torq screwdrivers to remove the cover. Otherwise, it will probably require a Phillips (and not Pozi drive) screwdriver.

You haven't mentioned which washing machine you have- if it is a better quality german machine, you may need a set of Torq screwdrivers to remove the cover. Otherwise, it will probably require a Phillips (and not Pozi drive) screwdriver.

Alas not the best but it has survived for quite a while. It's a John Lewis JLWM1203 which I think is actually made by Electrolux. I've had to replace a couple of bits on it in 15 years but it seems pretty solid all things considered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back