Washing machine wont fill, water keeps going on and off

(Removed)
(Removed)
If I showed my wife this, who has been physically disabled for over 30 years after breaking her neck when she was knocked down by a MALE driver), she would quite rightly have an apoplectic fit at such comments!
Before I met her, she sectioned off a part of her garage and built, from scratch, a new kitchen, including assembling the base and wall units, fitting the worktops, (admittedly with the help of her eldest son because they were quite heavy), and tiled the walls and floor. She even read up on how to fit a ring main and lighting circuit. It took her a long time, (over 12 months), but she was determined to do it herself. She also has a capable knowledge of fixing various items around the house.
You are living in a fantasy world if you think modern women are incapable of doing things other than cleaning a house, raising a family and baking cakes for the village fete!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
All things considered I called the local legends of a husband-wife duo who fix just about everyone's appliances around here. I was mostly wondering if it was something really stupid as machinery is not my forté. I'm much better at carpentry.

Flashing lights or lights on or off can be read as an error code and looked up online.

They error code will give an Idea of what is wrong

Flashing lights or lights on or off can be read as an error code and looked up online.

They error code will give an Idea of what is wrong

It doesn't have error codes or flashing anything.

Sponsored Links
Some posts have been removed.
I wouldn't say they are womanly concerns in particular, but I can't be bothered to yank the machine out and take it apart right now.

With no error code the machine thinks it fine.
Pull water pipe off and check the debris filter.
Open the large filter at front bottom and check with a torch inside. Spin the impeller. Should jump a bit with magnets but turn fine.
Sounds like a water problem so check both filters and the water is on.
Normally machines won't empty if there is a pump problem so I don't think that's the problem.
To get inside machine pull out and lay on side. Get access from the bottom.

To get inside machine pull out and lay on side. Get access from the bottom.

Lay the drain hose as low as possible, before you do that, into something to catch the water first - there will still be a few pints in there. My own preferred method, is to jack the washer up, to gain access to the underside - Blocks of timber, and gradually rock the machine, back and forth, as you add blocks, finally replace the timber piles with milk or beer crates.

Lay the drain hose as low as possible, before you do that, into something to catch the water first - there will still be a few pints in there. My own preferred method, is to jack the washer up, to gain access to the underside - Blocks of timber, and gradually rock the machine, back and forth, as you add blocks, finally replace the timber piles with milk or beer crates.
By the time you get to the milk/beer crate stage it is quite near it's tipping point and could come crashing down on it's side while you have your hands inside.
Place your waste hose into a washing up bowl and lay it as flat on the floor as possible to get most of the water out. For what little remains, use a shallow baking tray. Once you have done this tip the machine onto it's side keeping the waste hose as high as possible. Once on its side then lay it into the baking tray again to see if there is any residue remaining.
By the way, switch off and unplug before doing any of this. You don't want to be ripping the plug out of the socket or the back of the machine.

By the time you get to the milk/beer crate stage it is quite near it's tipping point and could come crashing down on it's side while you have your hands inside.

Not if you take adequate care, I have done it many times.

I've already drained it and checked the filters. There's really no need for all the jacking up and tilting on this machine -- it drains quite easily. Alas that was not the issue. It will drain just fine.

Maybe look for engineer test button press online.
That runs through everything quicky and will hopefully stop at the problem point helping you identify whats wrong

Maybe look for engineer test button press online.
That runs through everything quicky and will hopefully stop at the problem point helping you identify whats wrong

I don't think it has any kind of features like that. It's a pretty simple machine and about 15 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back