Waste gradient short length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am installing a new waste branch into my soil stack. The branch arm will be located 35cm away from the middle of the waste outlet on the toilet.

From what I have seen on this forum, the token calculation is 1:40 (Inches) or 25:1000 (mm).

I have worked out that my gradient will need to be about 9-10mm.

To me this seems like nothing for such a short distance for the waste to travel.

I am taking into account that the toilet will be sitting on tiles as well but from what I have seen on here I am worried about making sure the branch sits at exactly the right height.

Bearing in mind that I might not get the gradient exactly right when putting the new branch in, is there a fudge factor involved here especially with the stack being so close?

Any suggestions would appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As long as it doesn't run more than 110mm uphill it will be fine.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I haven't actually got my new toilet yet and have been basing this on my current pan that sits 200mm from the floor from the middle of the outlet. Just had a look online and realise there isn't a standard height anyway and they seem to vary between 180 and 190mm. So if I fit the branch based on the 180mm height I should be okay.

Yes, at that distance it would work even if it ended up flat.

Sponsored Links
Well!... I took the plunge last night and decided to install my new branch.

Everything went well until I tried to connect the slip coupling.

First I slipped the coupling on the upper pipe but when I tried to pull the coupling down it didn't work.

I then tried the other way to pull the coupling up but still no joy.

I can't seem to get the coupling on more than a cm. I have used washing up liquid and silicon spray and still can't shift it.

I have no problems getting the coupling over the first pipe, I just can't pull it over the other. This is the same for doing it the other way.

I chamfered the edges enough, but maybe I need to do it a bit more.

I don't have a lot of space around it (Maybe 2 - 3cm) so I have been scrapping my knuckles on the surrounding brickwork.

I need to leave it until the weekend now, so at the moment it is only just slipped on enough for the upstairs toilet and bath to be used. there is no major leaks but a tiny bit of water coming out at the point of the coupling.

Anyone else have this problem when fitting a slip coupling?

Thanks!

Might be asking the blindingly obvious, but its definitely a slip coupling? Shouldn't have any stops or a ridge internally at the half way point.

Hi,

Definitely a slip coupling. No stops in the middle of it.

I am hoping that when I go back to it feeling fresh, That I'll have more luck.

It was a bit time sensitive yesterday, bearing in mind that it needed to be connected up again for us to use the shower and there were all sorts of obscenities coming out of my mouth.

I just wondered if anyone else had experienced a similar problem doing this.

They are quite a snug fit, make sure both sections are lined up properly, a gentle tap with a hammer can sometimes assist, work your way around the lip of the fitting, don't hit it too hard or you'll split the lip.

If you're using silicon lubricant then I don't see why it would be a struggle, (avoid washing up liquid as this rots the seals), can only think you haven't got an adequate chamfer on the edges, but if its already gone on one way over both ends, I can see why it wont come back, unless pipework is misaligned.

I agree with Hugh, knock it on with a hammer. Worst case would be to swap it for a rubber connector, DC115 or similar.

Success!!!

Took it all out, cleaned all fittings to remove washing up liquid, chamfered edges a bit more and used a PTFE lubricate. Still had a little trouble pulling the coupling over but a gentle tap with a hammer and wood and it went on.

Not sure about the height of the branch but I won't know if it's too high until I get the new toilet.

If it works out too high I can always take it out again and lower it.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back