Waste Pipe Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking to replace my toilets old iron soil pipe as the joint has started crack and fail. I think its probably a good idea to also replace the sink/shower waste water pipes whilst I'm there as somebody has fitted/repaired them poorly at some point.

I'm just wondering what's the best solution for managing the waste water here - should I replace pretty much like for like, albeit with PVC versions and inspection points?

Is there a tidier way of reducing the number of pipes running down the house?

Cheers,
Martin

Sponsored Links
Firstly that stack looks like its asbestos cement, not cast. It'll be lighter to handle but you must make sure you dispose of it properly! Try to avoid breaking it (can release asbestos fibres), mask, disposable overalls and gloves needed as a minimum IMO.

Easy enough to replace with plastic. I'd run the wastes over to it, connect via strap bosses and do away with the hopper etc. If using solvent weld waste then rodding eyes are advisable, if it does bung up you can get a snake in to try and clear it, otherwise there's no option but to put a saw through!

As Hugh says - and change the WC branch for a 90 degree one , take new pipe right through to a new pan connector @ WC . Then you`ll get the shower waste below the WC branch ;) Like running up the soil you have shower waste - WC - basin waste . Not basin/ shower joined , like I see on new builds :rolleyes: Sink and washing machine into gulley with pipe ends Under the gulley grid :idea:

Sounds perfect thanks, saves me having to replace the hopper arrangement!

Sponsored Links
As Hugh says - and change the WC branch for a 90 degree one , take new pipe right through to a new pan connector @ WC . Then you`ll get the shower waste below the WC branch ;) Like running up the soil you have shower waste - WC - basin waste . Not basin/ shower joined , like I see on new builds :rolleyes: Sink and washing machine into gulley with pipe ends Under the gulley grid :idea:

Just wondering about the 90 degree branch - will this be ok in terms of drainage? Would the WC fail to flush well without an incline?

Just wondering about the 90 degree branch - will this be ok in terms of drainage? Would the WC fail to flush well without an incline?
Most bends are made as 92.5° rather than 90°, automatically giving a 2.5° fall, enough to keep everything flowing in the right direction.

Strange as it may seem, a steep fall can lead to more blockages than a shallow fall, as liquids can drain away too fast, leaving any solids stranded.

Ah I see! That makes sense now!

Maybe that explains why we get blockages sometimes with our current setup. I guess it could also be old bunged up pipes and huge turds too!

Ah I see! That makes sense now!

Maybe that explains why we get blockages sometimes with our current setup. I guess it could also be old bunged up pipes and huge turds too!
Tickly T is right - I was being lazy with the keyboard :oops: Funnily enough it`s not the turds that restrict the pipe - it`s uric salts :idea: made worse by not flushing after no. 1`s . I`ve seen a 4 inch drain completely blocked with salts from a gent`s urinal :mad: . So you`ve got asbestos and solid **** to look forward to :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

Is that the cat looking out the kitchen window, with a bib on!

Yes, he's wondering how the hell to get out of the flap that's been installed with a giraffe in mind. Or do you have a stork that uses it instead?

Do you supply your cat with a pole vault, so that he can get back in? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back