Waste pipe from free standing bath

Building a platform may make it difficult to get in and out of the bath. Drilling the joists would weaken them, which isn't desirable especially since a bathful of water needs to rest on them. So, the third way sounds the only plausible one I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
Holes should only be drilled on the centre line of the joist. This is where the compressive and tensile load distribution is neutralised.

Holes should have a diameter of no greater than 0.25 times the depth of the joist.

Holes should be no closer together than 3 times the largest diameter permitted.

Holes should be no closer to the support than 0.25 times the span and no further away than 0.40 times the span.

Hope this assists you also bear in mind the weaker part of the joist is in the middle.

Pete

Building a platform may make it difficult to get in and out of the bath. Drilling the joists would weaken them, which isn't desirable especially since a bathful of water needs to rest on them. So, the third way sounds the only plausible one I'm afraid.

I had a horrible feeling you were going to say that. Thanks again for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Holes should only be drilled on the centre line of the joist. This is where the compressive and tensile load distribution is neutralised.

Holes should have a diameter of no greater than 0.25 times the depth of the joist.

Holes should be no closer together than 3 times the largest diameter permitted.

Holes should be no closer to the support than 0.25 times the span and no further away than 0.40 times the span.

Hope this assists you also bear in mind the weaker part of the joist is in the middle.

Pete
That'll be a no then !!!! It looks like I will have to drop the pipes through the ceiling below. Thanks for your time Pete, appreciate it. If you lived a bit closer I'd pay you to do the job for me !
Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back