waste pipe imperial to metric - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm sure this will have been covered before but can someone please explain what I need to do.
My wash hand basin (white plastic) waste pipe under the floor sprung out from a 90 degree compression bend causing a leak. I need to lengthen the pipe to make it a better fit but the problem is this. The existing pipe O/D is 1.5 inch and the only sizes of pipe I can get is 32mm or 40mm, one is too small the other too large. Can you get reducers to go from 1.5 inch to 32mm or can you recommend how I get round this?

What do you professional plumbers do when altering an older plumbing system with metric fittings?

Thanks in advance, Steveo

Sponsored Links
Hi Spec
They are definitely compression fittings. I took an off cut of the pipe (there was a few cuttings from the original installation lying below the floor) to B&Q but no joy, screwfix is the same only 32mm & 40mm, no 1.5 inch.
How do you go from 1.5 inch to 32mm or 40mm?

Steveo

Sponsored Links
Hi Spec
The O/D of the pipe is 1.5 inch exactly which which equates to 38mm approx. Does that mean a 40mm fitting can be used and wont leak?

Usually a multifit compression fitting works but if it doesn't you can use one of these
p4668888_x.jpg

From http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101708&ts=31613&id=29220 and other good retailers :)

Just noticed your location. Drainage Center (in Plumb Center), Green Street, Ayr probably got one :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back