Waste pipe meeting drainpipe, can they join?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if the following is acceptable, it hasn't been done yet but it's being considered:

There's a drainpipe running top to bottom at the front of the house which goes to a combined sewer (this is what I've been told). There's a wc sited in a new en-suite at the front of the house (1st floor). If the soil pipe from the wc is taken through the wall it meets the drain pipe. Where they meet, can this section of drainpipe be replaced by a 4inch soil pipe which would then drain into the sewer? The person who wants to do this says that it will need sealing up at ground level and that the top section of drainpipe (which has not been replaced) will vent gases.

Does this sound possible/legal? I know the person should contact building control but as a concept does this sound legal?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
yes if changing to a soil pipe you'll have to change it all the way up and change the bottom in the ground.
re-run your drain pipe.

where is the toilet waste going to now ?

Sponsored Links
The toilet's not currently connected. It's part of a badly planned en-suite project at the front of a house in a conservation area. :cry:

I kept insisting that the drainage was going to be a problem but it all fell on deaf ears. Any idea on the likelihood of the council allowing a soil pipe to be added to the front of a conservation area house? I've never dealt with them before.

I feared as much.

Just spoke to the person who's wanting to stick the soil pipe at the front and told him to forget about it. He's asking technically why it won't work, what shall I tell him?

to be honest if he don't understand the regs on drainage he shouldn't be doing it. i'd be be bit worryed if i was you letting him loose on your house.
building control are not the best people to upset. ;)

You must inform building control of any underground drainage work, if done wrong you could be connecting into a rainwater drain.

Thanks for the help so far- I've been telling the person about building control/regulations being in opposition to what he had planned so now he's come up with another bright idea: keeping the pipe indoors (boxed in) then connecting it to the rear soil stack via the basement. Is this any more viable, or is there anything he needs to keep in mind re regulations?

You need a fall of about 1 in 40 on the basement bit, plus space for the bends.
Also see building Regs Part H - online.
Only solution might be a macerator :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back