wasted felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to felt over OSB on a garage roof. The garage is 5.2m long which means I can't get two lengths out of a 10m roll. The shortest roll I can find seems to be 8m. Am I basically stuck with wasting somewhere between 12m and 20m of felt (4 lengths required)?

Sponsored Links
Maybe if you ask the manufacturers very nicely they will make roll lengths in 1m intervals from 1m up to 20m? Thus keeping everyone happy?

What exactly are you proposing to do? ie are you taping the joints of the osb, how many felt layers and of what type are you laying etc. It's bad practice to lay a lap of layer 2 on top of a lap of layer 1 etc, you need to stagger the laps. So although your first layer might be 4 strips, your second layer should be a half strip, then 3 strips, then another half strip (or a third, then 3 full, then a two-thirds, depending on layers).

Would laying at least one layer across the way solve your problem?

just dry laying one layer of good quality felt. Four strips running the full length of the garage. The upper strips will overlap by about 400mm at the ridge

Sponsored Links
Ok if it's a pitched roof with one layer then it'd be best to lay it length ways, so you'll need the extra felt.

I guessed I probably would have some waste..Still, if you are doing these things yourself, you trade off this against the cost of getting somone in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back