shed felting...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to re-felt my log cabin/shed.
The roof is exactly 5m across the ridge and I want to felt it using polyester felt with a minimum of waste (feeling eco...).
Ashbrook Roofing do supply rolls of 15 year felt in 5, 8 and 10m lengths.
I was thinking to buy the 10m rolls and cut in half to lay on each side of the pitch. But at 5m there is nothing to overlap at the gable ends.
My solution would be to buy another 5m roll, use one strip 5m for the ridge and use another 300m strip to fix over the gable ends and underneath the top layer. I would also use mastic between top layer and the gable strip.
Should that be pretty weatherproof?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use mastic, use black jack tar to stick it down with.

Sponsored Links
You can get mineral felt with the adhesive already on it.
It has a plastic membrane on it to prevent it sticking together while in the roll, you peel the membrane off while rolling the felt out on the roof.
It is less messy than using cold fix bitumen.
Its suitable for small jobs like garden sheds, it won't last as long as a proper 3 layer felt roof

You can get mineral felt with the adhesive already on it.
It has a plastic membrane on it to prevent it sticking together while in the roll, you peel the membrane off while rolling the felt out on the roof.
It is less messy than using cold fix bitumen.
Its suitable for small jobs like garden sheds, it won't last as long as a proper 3 layer felt roof
I am getting polyester felt, 15 year 'guarantee', not self adhesive. Ashbrook Roofing will supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back