Super shed felt vs polyester cap sheet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What is the difference between polyester reinforced shed felt (sometimes called super shed felt) and polyester cap sheet? I am re-roofing some garden buildings and wondered if they are really the same thing?

Plan is to :

- nail 1st layer
- stick the 2nd layer with cold bitumen adhesive.

Should i just use 2 layers of cap sheet/ super shed felt or is it better to use the felt underlay?

Any particularly good bitumen adhesives you can recommend?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Your cap sheet will probably have mineral granules on it's surface so it needs a really good bond if you use it as underlay. Underlay has a more bitumen-like surface for the bitumen of the next layer to bond with, so use underlay for layer one and cap sheet for layer two. Alternatively use mineral cap sheet upside down as underlay (even tho it's more expensive), but beware you might get mineral granules on your head inside the shed for a while.

I can't comment on cold adhesive cos I've only used it once about 30 years ago (and it was crap), but for better results use torch-on cap sheet, torched on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back