Water arrestor for sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

For some reason I'm getting a thud when turning the upstairs taps on or off (cold). Thinking of fitting an arrestor, there are braided hoses that connect to the copper pipes that stick out the wall, that then connect to the tap. I have seen you can get 3/4 bsp arrestors for washing machines. Would these be the same fitment?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a 1/4 turn tap? I presume its mains cold?

You do get 15mm arrestors but you'd need to tee off the supply to fit it. If it was me I'd look at your cold supply pressure and see if you need a PRV. Then look at why you're getting hammer ( loose pipework, etc). Always best to fix the cause rather than suppress the symptoms.

If you're getting a Sioux Chief (which are good, and are maintenance free, and don't have flanges that leak) then be warned the fittings are American, and though Screwfix sell them as BSP, they're not. I needed to get an NPT adapator from ebay. Not a problem, just wish I'd known in advance. The other arresters that look like little expansion tanks are at risk of leaking if the diaphragm goes "flat".

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131399637673

Nozzle

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It's a mixer tap with just a handle type thing. Sorry not too clued up with plumbing! Is there nothing I can use to just fit between the 15mm outlet and the braided hose that then goes to the tap?

Yes I agree, probably worth investing further into where the noise is but it does seem like it's from an area that may not be easily accessible so this seems like an easier fix.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
You can get a shock arrestor along with a Tee to allow it to be fitted 'inline' but it will need some basic level of plumbing DIY skills and tools/material to fit it correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back