Water-based or Solvent Satinwood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can please help.

Water based or Solvent Satinwood? – I need to choose the topcoat paint for a hallway, stairway and landing with 10 doors is expensive. I need it to be white and preferably satinwood but also the right paint having spent so much time on the prep, undercoating, filling, sanding to a good surface ready for the top coat.

Before the VOC regulations on solvent reduction of some years ago I would not have been asking this question, it was quite easy then to get a first class spray-like finish with mini roller and brush. Now however, that has all changed.

Last year I bought 3 x 2.5L tins of Dulux satinwood solvent based (2 still unopened) which produced very poor results on one door, so I stopped there. It was slow drying, ‘sticky’, a shiny semi-gloss poor finish, despite all best efforts. I have not so far suffered the yellowing white issue on that door, partly I presume because it is not in much direct sunlight ?! Was the problem how I was using this paint? Can I reuse it in a different way? A lot of expense to throw away.

Which paint ?
So I want to be very sure before buying and had narrowed it down to a water based and probably Sikkens Satura BL (?), but it is expensive!!

I dropped in to Brewers and they recommended Dulux water based Trade satinwood but a 5ltr was nearly £70. Is the Trade paint really that much better than the standard one of the same brand, sold much cheaper even at Homebase?

Water based would seem to be the answer but when sanding down one door painted in old water based satinwood, it was rock hard to sand through, not like old paint used to be. Is this a usual problem with water based?

Your advice please before I spend £100+ on the wrong paint and regret it – again!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You asked all of this a month ago.

Thanks Joe, yes I did ask much of this and thanks for your advice then. I arrived at a sort of conclusion that Sikkens water based would probably be the best but also very expensive!. Brewers now say Dulux Trade w/b would be best but also solvent ??

I have just sanded down a door with 10 yr old water based on it and it was like armour plating, blunts the sanding sheets very fast and if typical of water based paint, I ask if I want to be facing trying to sand that in 10 yrs time?
What has happened to paint, it used to be easy to put on and also to dress and prep?

Sorry to ponder further before spending £100's on paint, but as stated I already have 7+ litres of the wrong (solvent?) paint and want to get it right.

As always any help much appreciated. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back