Water based satinwood over oil based gloss? Undercoat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to pain my skirting and doors which currently have oil based gloss on them. Now if I want to use a water based satinwood do I need to use an undercoat after sanding or can I just sand and go right on with the water based satinwood? And if I need an undercoat should it be oil based or waterbased?

Also besides the dulux trade water based satinwood what other brand of water based satinwood do you recommend? The dulux trade diamond satinwood is around £34 for 2.5L in my local and would prefer to less.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Stick to oil based paints over oil based paints - otherwise they'll scratch and chip dead easy.

Stick to oil based paints over oil based paints - otherwise they'll scratch and chip dead easy.

thanks for taking your time to reply.

Ok will just use a oil based stainwood then.

Just to confirm will I be ok to just sand down the oil based gloss and go right on with the oil based satinwood?

Also any recommendations on what brand oil based satinwood to use besides the dulux trade one?

Yes just sand it down and repaint. All brands are good - even Wickes and Wilko's. It's the technique that matters.

Sponsored Links
If you give them a good rub down and a coat of something like zinsser bin or dulux supergrip beofre the water based paint then they should be fine...you can even give them a coat of traditional oil based undercoat and then go over that with your water based paint if you dont want to go to the expense of buying a speical paint for the job...just make sure you leave it a couple of dys for the oil based paint to harden up nicely.

Just to confirm will I be ok to just sand down the oil based gloss and go right on with the oil based satinwood?

No, you will need to sugar soap the old paint, then rinse with clean water. After sanding clean with water of white spirit, I would wipe down with white spirit as this will dry quicker.

Thanks for all the reply's.

I've decided to just go with the dulux trade oil based satinwood as it was on offer at b and q for £26 for 5l.

Now last question. After sanding the wood down I have a few little bit's that have gone down to the bare wood. Would it be ok to use a quick drying water based primer / undercoat or better to stick with an oil based one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back