Water-based varnish for pine floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have good (original) pine floorboards in our lounge and dining room and have decided to go for the sand and varnish approach.

We cannot use oil-based varnish because of our many fish tanks and so have considered low-odour water-based varnish.

Does anyone have any experiences of this type of product used on sanded pine floorboards? Any watch-outs or general tips?

Sponsored Links
The best product in my opinion for varnishing floors is dulux diamond glaze, it can be bought in clear or tinted to various colours, it is not cheap but well worth the money.

Thanks for the info.

We actually got hold of a tester for some Sadolin varnish which has a satin finish. So far, the results look good on a test patch in the hall.

I have not yet decided what to do about the gaps in the floor boards. I have read about mixing sawdust with PVA glue and filling them - but has anyone actually experienced doing this themselves?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back