Water cylinder - sacrificial anode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter's flat has a combination cylinder and in the top section there is the remains, in several bits, of what looks to be a heavily calcium encrusted rod or pipe bent into a hoop - it looks as if it was about 12" - 15" in diameter orginally.

I've read somewhere about sacrificial anodes but from their description they seem to be straight rods and this 'thing' doesn't seem to have been that shape. Also I believe that the anode sticks down into the bottom section of the cylinder? There is a 1" length of what seems to be a rod sticking up from the bottom of the top cylinder section - could this be the anode? It doesn't look to be in a condition that would enable it to be removed.

Does anyone know what the decayed hoop may have been and what purpose it served? Could it have been connected to the small section of pipe sticking up from the centre of the cylinder?

How important is it that I replace the anode - assuming that I can remove it and source a replacement? I'm replacing the immersion heater and am concerned the new unit may corrode very rapidly without the anode.

Finally, adverts for replacement cylinders suggest they no longer need anodes so I assume they are of different construction or did the presence of an anode actually serve no useful purpose?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Kevplumb

If it was an expansion pipe and it's now disintegrated will this cause trouble? However, I cleaned out the tank last night and it certainly seemed that the bits were of a solid section i.e. not a hollow tube. Do you think all the bits formed a coil that was connected to the small bit of pipe that is left sticking up from the bottom of the top cylinder section and if it wasn't an anode what purpose would a solid coil fulfill?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back