Water damage on wall under bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just looking for some advice on what to do with this as I'm always wary when it comes to water damage. I noticed some slight discolouration on my kitchen ceiling (directly below the bathroom) so went upstairs and pulled the front panel off the bath to inspect. I'm fairly certain that a poor attempt at sealing the bath from the previous owner has allowed water to drip through and cause damage to the floor, wall and skirting board immediately below (pics attached), as there doesn't seem to be any problems elsewhere.

Does it look bad enough to warrant getting someone in to assess if there's any further damage anywhere? If not, is it generally acceptable to just let it dry out then seal it back up properly without replacing the damaged section of the plasterboard/skirting? I'm not too fussed about how it looks as we do plan on getting a new bathroom put in at some point over the next 6-12 months.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-19 at 17.19.07.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-19 at 17.19.07.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 36
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-19 at 17.18.51.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-19 at 17.18.51.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
The leak's been fixed right? What is that floor material to the left of the tiles and what is the condition? The photo's not very clear. Unless the floor is really bad I would just sort it out whn you do the bathroom.

There's no leak with the plumbing as such, but the problem should be fixed once I seal around the bath properly, yes.

The floor seems to be a thick bit of plywood/OSB, I've given it a poke and it's not soft or falling apart when I touch it so I assume it's in decent enough condition. The main concern was that it's caused discolouration on the kitchen ceiling below - but I'm guessing that doesn't necessarily mean the floor is ruined?

Thanks for the reply!

No should be OK to redecorate once fully dry, give it a tap etc make sure it's still solid etc. Apply a stain blocker and then repaint.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back