Water damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently refurbed a house, today I went by and noticed this water stain by the top of the chimney breast in the master bedroom.

I don't remember there been a stain before, so assuming it's not coming through the new paint. But possibly because of all the rain we had recently.

We had a combi boiler in too, so the tank above as far as I'm aware would be empty so wouldn't be cause by that.

Is this likely to be an easy fix? Or a serious issue?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20191002_145805.jpg
    IMG_20191002_145805.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
A case of getting up their and checking the pointing on the brickwork and the flaunching on the top of the stack. Also, have a check in the loft to look for leaks in the roof due to driving winds/rain.

Thanks I went up in the loft today to have a look,

To the right hand side of the chimney breast there's a small gap where you can see abit of daylight so I am guessing that's likely the culprit

Also, there's the felt stuff everywhere apart from to the right had side of the chimney again where its just white wood, no felt so wondered if this could be part of the problem too.

It's definitely 5he right hand side thats the issues as I can see on the loft floor where it's abit brittle and water stains

Question is, which tradesmen would I need, a roofer I assume? To check it out

Attachments

• IMG_20191002_184620.jpg
    IMG_20191002_184620.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20191002_184528.jpg
    IMG_20191002_184528.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20191002_184511.jpg
    IMG_20191002_184511.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Thanks!

Dare i ask how expensive roofing work is? mines a standard 3 bed semi, so hoping scaffolding etc wouldnt be needed but ive no idea

I have asked a couple of roofers so hoping to hear back soon

I used a local guy, who just operates very locally, self employed and on his own, with ladder and roof ladder on top of his van. He charged me £80 to re-flaunch my two pot chimney - if he did it there and then whilst his ladder was up there. If it needed pointing, would have taken longer and cost more. I've used him a couple of times, he seems to do a mix and work several small jobs subsequently, chucking the mix in the back of his van.

Another even more local roofer (same street) without even getting up to look at it quoted £500, was suggesting the while chimney needed repointing, re-flaunching and new lead. The cheaper guy said it was all fine, apart from the flauching and there has been no problem since it was done.

Back