Chimney breast in loft, brick repair urgent or not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past couple years when there has been a lot of windy driving rain (that seems to happen more often these days), we have noticed spots of water staining in the back bedroom ( old terraced house) coming from the loft above, approx 30cm away from the edge of the chimney breast

After clearing loads of rubbish out of the loft, we were able to make our way to the back of the loft. From the staining patten on the roof felt, it seems to be the likely point of ingress is right in the corner where the party wall, which is sloping with the pitch of the roof, meets the left corner of the chimney breast. Water is tracking down the felt and then dropping onto the loft floor and then damp staining is coming through the ceiling.

In that place where water has come through, the corner the bricks are very flaky. See photo. There are also 2 or 3 bricks here and there on the rest of the breast that are spalling. See other photo.

How urgent do you think it is that these bricks are repaired? The chimney is not in use as a fire place. Is it oK to leave as is for a few more years ?

What trade should I get to do the brick repair ? Does it have to be new brick or will patching mortar do ?

Any guesses as to possible weakness/cause in the roof that allows rain in from time to time ??

The roof was last redone about 25 years ago.
Thanks for any input

Attachments

• IMG_chim b1.jpg
    IMG_chim b1.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_chim b2.jpg
    IMG_chim b2.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 149
Sponsored Links
I would be more worried about the mould on the timber?
I would think that the chimney flashing is leaking.
I am no builder, but the bricks should be ok if the ingress is sorted?

I don't think its mould. I checked myself at the time. A bit cobwebby
Thanks for your reply

I think there was probably a historic leak in that area from way back before it was last reroofed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Jacko.
I'll keep an eye out for the spider! ( if I ever go down there again - can't stand just walking on the joists if I can avoid)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back