Water damaged ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Complete newbie so please forgive my ignorance . . . I really don't have a clue!

My living room ceiling has suffered water damage from a radiator in the bedroom directly above. I've since turned the radiator off and everything seems to be fine now (i.e. no further damage is being caused). I think the ceiling is plasterboard (?) and it's covered with textured wallpaper.

The reason I say plasterboard is because the damage seems to of split/cracked one of the boards and I can see it through the paper.

Obviously, I'm too chicken to attempt repairs myself so need to call in the professionals but need a few pointers, so I know what to expect:

1. Do you think the ceiling could be repaired or would the whole thing need to be replaced?

2. Who do I call? A plasterer? A builder? Both?

3. What would I expect to pay to [A] Just repair the ceiling and have the ceiling replaced - the room is about 8ft by 12ft.

4. Would a plumber be needed to repair the leak to the radiator?

5. Any general advice on hiring professionals?

Thanks advance for any input, and once again my apologies for knowing absolutely nothing :oops:

Sponsored Links
1)just the affected area, but if ceiling papered may not get close match (but paint over after its done)

2) depends if ceiling was plastered

3)

4)probably, if rad has leak, new rad required, this is a case of change like for like

1) just the affected area, but if ceiling papered may not get close match (but paint over after its done)

2) depends if ceiling was plastered

3) see item 9 here

4) probably, if rad has leak, new rad required, this is a case of change like for like

5) ask to see previous work / recomendations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back