Water damaged wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening, i have a bathroom to repair the whole bathroom is in a basement and the floor has been built on a wooden joists.
The floor is chipboard and it looks like it now takes on the impression of the joists underneath.
The floor over time has become wet and now because it is so wet that the bath moves slightly so we need to rectify the problem.
I was thinking that wait for floor to dry out then put a new water resistant ply down on top of the floor.
My only problem is that i do not think that the floor will dry out so the other alternative is to rip out the old floor and put in a new one.
Please help with advice on the matter please.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
homes - pull the old up and replace with 18mm exterior grade ply. Joins between ply sheets to meet over joists, other joins support below with screwed-in noggins (crossways bits of 75mm x 50mm). This support is important to prevent flexing at the joins and critical if you then tile (avoids cracked tiles). Screw the ply to the joists. You can get tongue & groove ply if you prefer but plain-edge is OK if supported.

Also, sort out any leaks FIRST.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back