Water dripping into kitchen from boiler flue pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, really hope someone may be able to offer a bit of advice/guidance.

I had an old oil boiler removed from my kitchen in June and the heating engineer left the metal corrugated flue liner in place and just crushed the end of it and pushed it up into the chimney void.

All summer things have been fine, we have had some very high winds and a lot of rain and not a drop of water has come down the liner. But since the central heating has come on and the temp outside has dropped, we have a constant drip of water coming out the end of the flue liner onto the kitchen floor.

I went up onto the roof to have a look and the metal liner comes up through the chimney stack and terminates into a metal pipe that sticks out of the stack (no clay pot) this in turn has a metal rain cap on it.

Looking down into the metal liner there is a lot of droplets of water on the inside of the flue liner that are dripping down the liner which are then ending up in the kitchen, it’s not a huge way to travel as it’s a bungalow.

So, any ideas how I can stop it and why its happened? I’m guessing its condensation formed by the warm air from the kitchen meeting the cold air coming down the metal flue pipe, but I assumed this would be the same for any set up like this.

Whether the heating engineer by crushing the end of the pipe in the kitchen has caused the issue I really don’t know.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• PXL_20221202_095024098.jpg
    PXL_20221202_095024098.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20221202_095432069.jpg
    PXL_20221202_095432069.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back