Water either boiling hot or freezing cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved into a new house and I have problems with what i can only think is the boiler. When i go to have a shower I can either have boiling hot or freezing cold water and nothing in between. The hot/cold tap is a mixer tap and when I go from cold slowly to hot noting happens until I get nearly to the end and I can see the water pressure from the shower head change and it gets super hot. Same going the other way. I have been told that it may be the water pressure but I don't know how to check or even change the pressure. I have attached a picture with the valves that are under the boiler (its a intergas HRE 36/30).

Any help would be amazing

Thanks

Attachments

• Photo 07-08-2015 8 18 22 pm.jpg
    Photo 07-08-2015 8 18 22 pm.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
Sounds more like a problem with your cold supply than a problem with the boiler, do you know how to clean the filters on your shower ?

Hi Picasso,

Thanks for your response. I think you may have a point because i have a mixer tap on my sink and if I leave that half way between hot and cold it seems fine. The strange thing is with the shower that you can clearly see when the hot water kicks in as the water pressure eases off and when the cold kicks in it speeds up and that is when it either goes boiling or freezing. The shower controls are just on the wall and i would not know what to clean out other than the shower head? Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to plumbing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Well as its a new house then you will have a 10 year NHRBC warranty!

You had better call them.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Nice boiler they've installed too (y)
It does sound like the behaviour of a manual shower mixer cartridge that needs changed or as picasso mentions, the filters looked at. I'd be getting someone in and looking there 1st.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back