water getting in from chimney area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A damp patch has appeared on ceiling in bedroom and another damp patch seems to be getting bigger in the bedroom next door.
Photos attached I hope!

Had the flaunching re-done a few moths ago as it was badly broken and know that there is a golf ball sized hole in one of the pots but not sure if this is the reason the water suddenly seems to be getting in?

Been up in the loft and cannot see any drip and all tiles seem to be intact.

mortar between bricks on the stack in the loft was all damp and crumbling like sand- could it be the pointing and water seeping down through bricks and then dripping but thinking it would be more gradual, although we have had heavy rain yesterday?

Any ideas welcome?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Could you take and post pics of the stack from outside, and the lead back gutter, and the flaunching?
Hope you dont mind, but please read the instructions for posting pics.

Why was a damaged pot left on the stack?

Are the fire openings in the rooms below open or vented? When were the flues swept?

The rafters appear to be well discoloured but the pics are not in focus to tell if rot is present.

Thank you for that pic of the pot but i asked a number of other questions and requested further pics?

The pic of the pot is limited but, whatever, that pot is disintegrating and dangerous - it could crumble and crash down in a high wind.

Sponsored Links
Could you take and post pics of the stack from outside, and the lead back gutter, and the flaunching?
will get back to you with these thanks

Why was a damaged pot left on the stack?
The roofer said some flexible mastic or such could be used to fill the hole but he did not have any- he re-did the flaunching which should hold the pot in place I guess. He said that it was secure.

Are the fire openings in the rooms below open or vented? When were the flues swept?
1 flue in 4 is being used regularly with open fire. This was swept recently.
2 of the 4 pots are uncapped- the 2 were uncapped recently

Anyone who called himself a roofer and left that pot, or made mickey mouse claims about repairing it, was no roofer.

If the pot crashes onto someones head you, the householder, will be held responsible.

Alright matey I know the deal re responsibility what I am asking about is the water getting into my loft and then the bedroom ceiling....

I'm sorry that you wish to become familiar with me but i am not nor ever shall be your "matey".

Come to think of it, your startled reaction makes me wonder if you were your own roofer?

Just saying but knowing "the deal re responsibility" while allowing a heavy object to perch above the passing public's head is not exactly responsible whether its part of a known deal or not.

Are the promised pics in the post because i've yet to see them?

Calm down big dawg.
I aint no fool so I pay sombody else the danger money. Roofer paid to sort flaunching not pot. The pot is at back of house.

The pot should have been removed or at the very least suggested by the roofer.

As a guess I'd say broken tiles/slates or lead work.

Without photos that's all I can offer, sorry.

ademor,

Fair enough. I like the way you step up and show good spirited humour. Thanks for correcting me, I apologise for being wrong and reacting too quick.

Thing is, to do a proper job on the flaunching - any flaunching - all pots and terminals must be removed to provide a clean surface to work with. Half measures wont work, they will come back to bite you.

Often when the flaunching and pots are removed its obvious that a couple of brick courses might also need renewing.

Typically stacks will be re-pointed, and all lead flashings investigated, especially the lead back gutter - we always lifted the back gutter and flashings to search for leaks.

But its impossible to say what condition your stack is in, hence where the leak(s) is coming from, without pics. I can only point you to possibilities.

If another roofer appears have the roofer provide pics of whats what and post the pics on here. After any work have more pics taken to show what has been done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back