Water hammer arrester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads just had a new boiler fitted and they put a water hammer arrester under the boiler i started getting water hammer " ive never had this before" so i called them back and they cured the problem by taking the water hammer arrester off and said it was that which was causing the water hammer even though its supposed to cure it ive never had a water hammer arrester before and was glad that the hammering stopped but the company rang me back and said they want to fit another type of hammer arrester i said why? There is no water hammer so i dont need one, they said the boiler company warrenty is only valid if ones fitted im not sure if i sould let the put one in the one they are talking about fitting requires maintenance, to sum it all up they are insisting on an arrester but i dont have water hammer but if i dont the guarantee is void thoughts anyone? The boiler is a valiant 825

Sponsored Links
Hi lads just had a new boiler fitted and they put a water hammer arrester under the boiler i started getting water hammer " ive never had this before" so i called them back and they cured the problem by taking the water hammer arrester off and said it was that which was causing the water hammer even though its supposed to cure it ive never had a water hammer arrester before and was glad that the hammering stopped but the company rang me back and said they want to fit another type of hammer arrester i said why? There is no water hammer so i dont need one, they said the boiler company warrenty is only valid if ones fitted im not sure if i sould let the put one in the one they are talking about fitting requires maintenance, to sum it all up they are insisting on an arrester but i dont have water hammer but if i dont the guarantee is void thoughts anyone? The boiler is a valiant 825
Hi lads its sorted i rang valiant up like suggested and they said its not necessary and it would still be guaranteed i rang the installers up and told them i phoned valiant up and they said what did u ring them for? You have a Worcester fitted and i had to tell them it was a valiant that they had fitted so bit of confusion on their part as they dident know what boiler that they had installed cheers to all replied

Sponsored Links
Typically you need a mini expansion vessel in the DHW inlet to the boiler if there's a non return valve in the inlet pipework somewhere preventing water expansion back down the mains - e.g if you have a water softener.

Otherwise when you turn off the hot tap, the boiler continues to heat the water briefly and because the water has nowhere to expand to, the pressure in the boiler can rise and potentially damage the boiler internals.

It's definitely a requirement for Ideal if you want them to honour the warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back