water hammer from neighbours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a terraced row of 12 and are right in the middle. Recently (after having new kitchen taps fitted) we have developed banging in our water pipes when our neighbours use the water supply. At first it seemed to be just our immediate neighbours, but has progressed to include more of them! Between 6pm and 10pm you'd think Phil Collins was in the house. The terrace is on one mains. We've turned off the water and emptied the pipes and fixed pipes we can reach and are close to a wall to the wall but nothing helps. Any suggestions? (our neighbours aren't similarly troubled, which is rather annoying!)

Sponsored Links
We live in a terraced row of 12 and are right in the middle. Recently (after having new kitchen taps fitted) we have developed banging in our water pipes when our neighbours use the water supply. At first it seemed to be just our immediate neighbours, but has progressed to include more of them! Between 6pm and 10pm you'd think Phil Collins was in the house. The terrace is on one mains. We've turned off the water and emptied the pipes and fixed pipes we can reach and are close to a wall to the wall but nothing helps. Any suggestions? (our neighbours aren't similarly troubled, which is rather annoying!)

So you're saying that there is water hammer in the pipes in your house when one of your neighbours uses their kitchen/mains direct tap?

One 'clunk' or a vibrating sound?

a clunk, of varying noise levels - sometimes just slight, sometimes quite alarming. When our immediate neighbours had work done on their boiler the other day it was very loud - that's when I'd had enough. You can feel the vibrations.

Sponsored Links
It seems to be. I can see our next door's kitchen from our house and we get a bang when they use the taps (and when the guy was working on their boiler). I can't see other people's kitchens, but last night our immediate neighbours weren't in their kitchen and our pipes were banging every 5 seconds for about 2 hours, at peak usage time, so I'm presuming it's the effect of other neighbours using the water supply. It eased off at about 10pm.

It's quieter this evening, maybe people aren't using thier washing machines or something. Absolute minimum cause is our immediate neighbours when they use their kitchen taps and shut them off - they've done it on purpose for us to check the cause and it confirmed our suspicions. Is this too vague still? thanks

Do I understand this correctly? YOU have new taps, nothing else has changed, now there is noise from the neighbours, but with the old taps all was fine?

Between 6pm and 10pm you'd think Phil Collins was in the house
Did you hear it, comin in the air tonight?:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If you leave your cold tap running slightly does the noise stop or ease off?

Ditto for the neighbours?

Try reducing the amount of water coming through your mains stoptap. = Close it off a bit so you still get a reasonable flow of water but less pressure. This may give some respite.

fit a mini expansion vessel/shock arrestor on ya cold mains ;)

Theres your answer! Item number 11355 HERE

If it doesn't work then treat your neighbours to one as well if you want a peaceful life.

They are new taps - it's the only change, but I did notice the plumber turned the stoptap on absolutely full, so I'll try and turn it down a bit, and if all else fails go for a gizmo, as so helpfully suggested (thanks for the link Mr Slug thingy. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back