Water Hammer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several months ago I replaced the fill valve on the ensuite WC. I used an Opella Torbeck valve as I have used them in the past and had no problems.

As the WC is fed from the cold water cistern in the loft immediately above, I did not fit any of the restrictors, only the filter.

For a while everything was OK, but then there would be a very loud bang when the WC had finished filling. I checked the valve was correctly installed. My immediate thought was water hammer so I turned down the cold water flow rate to the ensuite; no effect. Then, after a few months, the banging stopped as suddenly as it began. Now a few months later it has started up again.

I don't get this problem with the bathroom WC, same floor, or the ground floor cloakroom, both of which have Torbeck valves.

What is going on and how do I stop the banging permanently?

Sponsored Links
Torbeck valves are sh...... not the best, they can tend to stick and then shut with a bang, try fluidmaster much better valve.

You need to fit a flow restrictor, opella torbecks should provide one.
But as above fluid master have them integral to the valve.

Torbeck valves are sh...... not the best, they can tend to stick and then shut with a bang.
This is the first time I have had this problem in over 20 years of using Torbeck valves. Maybe Fluidmaster, who now own Opella, have slackened the Quality Control standards on Torbeck valves so customers will migrate to Fluidmaster resulting in the closing down of Opella?? :rolleyes:

As for needing a restrictor, according to the installation instructions this should not be required as the feed tank is only about 2 metres above the WC.

Sponsored Links
These are made by Opella, and the makers are aware that water hammer is a problem in some installations. They will provide a "prototype parts kit" free upon request - fitting this cured the problem for me. Try giving them a call on 01432 357331 -the replacement parts can be fitted in seconds, and saves the time and expense of a new valve.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=221457#ixzz2Te93eF2N

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back