Water Hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Neighbour has had some work done,new toilet etc,and now whatever tap/washing machine valve is opened or closed in both properties it is causing the pipes to bang.I assume fitting an arrestor is not going to help.It appears to be coming from ceiling above the kitchen mainly and is inaccessible.
Happens when any tap in the house is shut off or the washing machine valves close,appears to be the same situation from next door too.
Any suggestions ?,ask him to get the plumber back ?.

Sponsored Links
Do you know if the water supply pressure have been increased in the area? Might be worth considering fitting pressure reducing valves on incoming supply.

Thanks
No idea on water pressure increase,never noticed it until he had some work done a couple of weeks ago.Have tried closing incoming tap to almost shut off no improvement,also tried the shut off and drain down I've read on a few sites still the same,actually bangs louder when he runs water and turns off than it seems to when we use it.
Been turned down for a water meter because the pipe enters behind property and into under sink area no room to fit one apparently,so could your suggestion be fitted elsewhere ?.
Thanks again for response.

Ideally the pressure reducing valve wants to be between the stop tap and the first loading appliance, tap, valve etc.

Water hammer can be caused by a number of issues. So worth checking that all pipes are secured and clicked correctly, also what type of float valve was installed on the new WCs?

Sponsored Links
Try a simple solution first. Turn down the mains water stop cock a turn or two.

Thanks guys
No idea on ball valve unless I ask neighbour and he probably won't know,I've tried shutting the valve and only opened it about 1 turn seems to have helped our taps doing it as much,but still happens when his are opened/closed.
Is it worth contacting Yorkshire water to fix the issue ?.
Pipes affected seem to be under bathroom floor area,so would mean ripping up the cushion floor,hardboard and floorboards to access them.

If the problem improves when you reduce the opening in the stop tap, it sounds like a high water pressure issue.
Yorkshire Water will not touch the consumers side, you could call them and ask if there has been an increase in water pressure recently?

Pressure reducing valve, should be fitted after the stop tap, neighbour needs to do same.

Was up at 6 this morning and it's doing like a double bang about every five to ten minutes.
I was just sat eating my breakfast,nowhere near the taps on our side and doubt the neighbour was running and closing them like that.Hes blind so wouldn't be up for work,I have noticed a toilet cistern outside his house so assume it's been replaced and maybe the stop tap has now been fully opened from it being partially closed ?.Or may be the new ball valve is fluctuating and not closing correctly ?.
Will call round and ask later this week,maybe a return for his installer to check it is working correctly.
Thanks fellas any other info appreciated.

The blatant thing would be a bit if debris getting into a float operated shut off valve. Probably in the new stuff the neighbour has had fitted

This will cause it to not shut correctly and bang like a mofo

If it was fine before the works.....how can it be related to pressure....they won't of increase the pressure.

most likely to be neighbours stoptap where plumber turned off water , stoptap could have a loose washer/jumper , if its only just cracked open the jumper will bang against the seating , go round and turn it fully on and noise should stop

Thanks
Should be home early enough today to go round and ask what exactly he has had done,and ask if valve has been reopened fully and turn taps on and off to see if its audible in his house also.Going to call water board and enquire if pressue has been increased.Will post back later.
Thanks again to all.

Been round,someone he knows is fitting a bathroom suite not finished yet though.Ive adjusted his incoming valve fully open to closed is only around 3 full turns.He can also hear the bangs happening.
I've tried it both ways fully open and nearly closed issue still persists.Also checked all the pipes I can get to in ours and secured still happening.

Went round while guy was fitting new sink,bath and shower and asked him about the banging.He said the hot tap was seized up and had been for a while.After they had shut off the water in his house and started to alter the pipe work for the new positions the banging stopped,but has now reappeared after about a week of him using taps etc.
Can I assume its 100% something on his side and ask he gets it fixed ?.Driving me crazy now as he does seem to run the water a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back