Water Hammer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we experience a loud clunking noise in our pipes whenever any of the cold (or hot) taps are switched off quickly. The noise is worse when the washing machine closes a valve. The washing machine was replaced a few months ago and a condensing boiler was fitted about nine months ago. I can't recall if the knocking was happening prior to both of these events though. In an effort to fix it I have replaced the valves in the toilet. All that has done is cause the knocking to also now occur when the toilet is flushed - I guess that's because the new Torbeck valves are actually closing properly. I'm not aware of any loose piping but short of ripping out parts of the kitchen or pulling up the flooring I can't confirm this for sure. Is a shock arrestor the next thing to look at ? If so, do I need to fit 1 on each of the cold and hot pipes ? I'm assuming a tee connector is required to add it to the existing piping ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back