Annoying water hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

after turning off water outside (washing machine tap is broken as I discovered to my "surprise") I noticed the new washing machine was making quite a bit of noise when stopping filling. I didn't put two and two together until today and duly turned the tap outside down a little - this has solved the washing machine noise (and downstairs sink which has been annoying for ages actually)

Alas, now both upstairs bathroom taps are "hammering" quite badly when turned off - unless very slowly. I can feel which pipe it is (cold) but turning off the hot also makes it bang. I can only assume a couple of days of the washing machine banging have dislodged a pipe a bit? (It was pretty loud)

I'm not really in a position to go ripping floors up, so is there anything I can do? Thought about clipping the pipes together, but I've tried holding them and that doesn't do much.

Would one of these do the job on the cold pipe? ;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toilets-Pre..._cp_201_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=10CYP4WEVB9NM833E9M1

I note the guidance is to put as close to the "problem valve" as possible - sounds to me as if the problem is somewhere deep underneath the floor so would installing near taps make any difference?

Cheers for any help

Sponsored Links
First 'fix' would be to turn down your internal stopcock half a turn.

If that fails then a shock arrestor is one possible solution fitted close to your internal stopcock

Alas, in ten years I've not been able to find it. I kid you not.

Can you locate the rising main where it enter the house before it branches off?

Sponsored Links
Er, pass. What's it look like? If its under the floorboards then no most likely

The only way I have to shut off at the moment is via the tap outside, dirty horrible thing!

Typical places to look would be under the kitchen sink/downstairs cloakroom/WC/understairs cupboard.

Is there anything that would identify it? There is a pipe coming up from under the sink (although its a white speedfit one), think one of the issues is that there was an extension to the kitchen in the 70s so things have moved. I have the plans, but they don't match what's here now so either it's changed again or they changed their mind. Theres certainly nowhere to turn the water off under sink / understairs etc :/

If the plans dont have a BCO Approved stamp on the back then the extn was possibly non certified.

Stand outside at he external stop-tap cover and look in a straight line to the house - typically, thats where the mains entered. Can you crawl under your floor(S) to look for the internal stop-tap?

Operate the external shut-off while you are out there - is the supply pipe material plastic, copper or lead?

Kit fitter's sometimes blind the stop-tap with a unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back