water heater wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

could anybody tell me if it is ok to wire straight from the consumer unit to a "water heater" switch in the cylinder cupboard, then come from there with a flex to the heater? rather than going to a switch in the kitchen then to the cupboard?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
No problem not having a switch in the kitchen if you don't want one as long as you retain the local isolator as you say. Ensure strain relief is provided to the flex going to the water heater and that its of heat reistant type.

Many people have the immersion heater as a backup for if the boiler breaks down, rather than something that they use all the time these days, so often a switch in kitchen as well is pointless. Though they'd be wise to check it still works from time to time....

Thanks Adam I was sure that the extra switch was more for convenience and as i will only be using it as a backup like you say then its one less switch in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back