Water in Da' Basement - Somtimes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Folks...

OK, so I had a really bad leaky basement. Turns out my neighbor had her downspouts dumping out onto her yard which ran down the bank to my house. She got that fixed and diverted her spouts out to the street where they should be. I also fixed a broken gutter that I have...

Before I go any farther, I put some pictures up on a website site quick. Here's that site: http://home.comcast.net/~lj_web

OK, now that you are all checking out my house. You see how the land from that bank is grated directly towards my house? I'm thinking of grabbing some topsoil and grass seed this weekend and building a swell around the side of my house there and then grade the yard away from my house. I noticed that when it rains a lot of water just sits in my yard and doesn't have any place to go.

My basement doesn't leak when it's raining, only after it stops. I'm thinkin' it's because of that hydrostatic pressure stuff. The ground absorbs the water since it's not running anywhere. I'm hoping/thinking that grating will fix this.

I live in PA, about an hour north of Philly in Reading. The last 2 weeks we got hit with some pretty serious rain storms. I think on Tuesday we got somewhere between 4" and 8" of rain. I maybe only had 2-3 gallons of water sitting on my floor. Will the gratting help/fix that? I'm sure it will help. If I still get a little water in my basement what should I do next? Perimeter drain or is there a cheaper solution if I hardly get any water at this point?

Thanks for your help...

LJ

Sponsored Links
French drain maybe the answer, do a search on google, plenty of information there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back