water in heating oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really in trouble.Just had 1500 L of oil delivered.Boiler not used during summer,old metal tank,drained off oil looks cloudy-main question really is the oil recoverable,will it settle,or have i just lost £800 plus all the other attendant costs.Any help appreciated.Already cleaned filter/pump filter.new nozzle.

Sponsored Links
Mike
When you say drained off where did you drain it off? Was it just to check the quality at the filter or was it at the tank drain-off?
Have you water-pasted the oil to check water content?
After delivery the tank will need time to settle after the incoming new oil displaces the old oil in the bottom. I usually advise around an hour to allow settlement following delivery.
Of course if it is an old steel tank then you will have water/condensation in the oil, there will be bacterial growth in the tank, rust and oxidation issues.

The colour of the oil should be clear and the colour of a nice Chardonnay if 28 second kero!

If the tank was near empty you should have removed any water before having a delivery. There is usually a drain plug at the lowest point. Often seized up solid because people dont bother.

The outlet is meant to be a little above the bottom to leave some space for water and sludge to collect!

I would always advise leaving to settle for a day if you had water in the bottom and just delivered the new oil on top! ( Thats if you dont want to risk getting water into your boiler! )

Tony

Thanks Tony.Hoping it's settled a bit by tomorrow.Picked up some water detecting paste to check how much is in there- I suspect a lot,as it has never been a problem before.
Thanks Awowen-looked really horrible- like bad draught ale from the bottom of the keg!Sure hope it settles,nothing changed over night!

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really make much difference if there's lots of oil in or not, obviously less oil makes it marginally easier. Simple enough once settled to put a hose at the bottom and syphon the water out until it runs clear with oil. You will never get all the water out but plenty enough so the out-take is above water level.

You could do this yourself, or just get an oftec engineer to do it. Should only take half a day.

You might be lucky and the drain tap works so it's even easier.

Not sure how old your tank is but just to cheer you up OFTEC are advising that any oil tank over 20 years old is "beyond its design life" and therefore should be replaced..... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back