water in pipes making loud noise when sink downstairs used

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I managed to isolate the problem to the sink as anything beyond that it doesn't make that same ringing noise. Sample of the sound (www.vocaroo.com/i/s0SH5GovUu6l)

Under the sink we have the old valve which was initially connected to the house before we moved in, this did not change. Though the noise became an issue after we installed the shower, the noise is certainly only when that sink is on and cold water only.

The valve used on the tap is:
IMG_20130301_200030.jpg

I was thinking of just changing it to something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/flex-tap-connector-valve-15mm-x/18417

Though I am not entirely sure if it will be compatible, the noise is driving me nuts and though it might not solve the problem I thought at £4-5 it is worth a punt.

Suggestions would be very much welcome.

Sponsored Links
Thats just a drain off, is the noise not just the water coarsing through the pipes ? Try adjusting your stoptap (open it all the way, then slowly close it till the noise stops) obviously you need to keep a decent flow. If it only started after shower was fitted stoptap may not be open enough.

Hi gigz, we played about with the main feed tap before, though we didn't do it all the way then slowly close it but we did turn off tap and then slowly turn it on without avail.

The reason why I thought that is because maybe the valve is trying to squeeze it into a smaller gap then it wants to from looking at youtube with regarding noise.

The shower was placed right near the main feed into the house though, so not sure how this places pressure etc.

Many thanks for the very prompt reply too :D

Edit: tried to re-record the sound but didn't really get picked up properly, the sound is echoed nearly everywhere in the house but I would agree with you, it is just the sound of the water but it is annoyingly loud.

Edit2: It seems that it isn't actually a drain pipe but removing air from the pipe seemingly as it didn't actually fully come down the nut / screw and when you turn on the tap, it just splattered a bit until the air was out of the system seemingly.

Tried changing that valve to a flexi pipe and it failed ... don't know what else I can do :(

Sponsored Links
Could be the tap itself !!! Might have disturbed some crud and it could be lodged in the tap, turn water off and dismantle tap and have a look, if you can swap the hot and cold guts from the taps and see if it makes any difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back