water in plug hole in shower tray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this normal? It drains away absolutely fine and does not build up in the shower. I have used a plug hole un blocker just to clean them as we have recently moved into the house.

Now the pipework is very clean and white but if you look close there is water stood under the plug hole, about 2 inch down just in the pipe. As I said it drains 100% fine and both shower trays are the same.

Is this just how they are, i.e is the pipework sometimes fitted like that under a shower tray?

Sponsored Links
Underneath your shower tray you will have one of these...

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...CgcybLWGg7J7!1623847812?fh_search=shower+trap

The shower trap holds a small amount of water (just like your sink trap) to stop smell coming back up the pipe and into your bathroom. So yes in answer to your question - it is normal to have water in the trap. You will also find you can take the top off the shower trap to remove any hair and small blockages. :)

thanks for the reply, makes sense now sort of. Them showertraps though look to have the exit pip to the side so why would water sitting in the bottom stop smells coming along the side pipe??

unless I misunderstand how they work..

Liam

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back