Slim shower tray overflow!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installed a new slim shower tray but the water overflows if we use the full force fo the shower, so have had reduce the water flow on the shower to half and it takes time to drain.

I bought the easy plumb showr tray, for our plumber when we're renovating our house, but it seems the water does not drain quickly.
The bathroom is in the upper floor.

We have a shower curtain which surrounds the tray and sometimes it spills over on the floor and as a result, water drips under the floor in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
At risk of stating the bloomin' obvious here, but its the drainage that needs sorting....maximising pipe diameter, fall and distance to the main soil pipe etc......even the design of the shower drain outlet may play a part.
John :)

At risk of stating the bloomin' obvious here, but its the drainage that needs sorting....maximising pipe diameter, fall and distance to the main soil pipe etc......even the design of the shower drain outlet may play a part.

Thanks John for your reply :)

The plumber mentioned that we should have a got a deep shower tray, not the slim version, as they don't hold enough water and not drain quickly.

Now, can he open the side panel and change the diameter of the pipe and the fall, as he seems to blame the design of the shower tray and the its accompanied small waste pipe, rather than his own choice of pipe fittings and fall.

I fear he will not go at length to change all this, as he is going to start a new job, and he has got all his money. So if a bigger pipe is needed, he'll demand more payment and more work for him. :mad:

The plumber mentioned that we should have a got a deep shower tray, not the slim version, as they don't hold enough water and not drain quickly.
Some people do talk b'locks! It is a shower tray, not a bath, it is not designed to "hold" water.
The waste is not up to the job. Plumber's error - end of. A shower tray waste should not drain slower than the shower can fill the tray up.

Sponsored Links
i agree with the above. the waste pipe should be a minimum of 1 1/2"
and have the correct fall away from the shower tray.

where did you find your plumber? was he recommended?

Shower tray waste fitting has a small pipe as a result the water can't drain much, according to him. The waste fitting came with the tray. He told us that the new shower has fast flow, so we have to turn down the speed, otherwise we would have an overflow.

He did fit electric shower in my flat, but had not fitted a shower tray then, that's how I 'found' him as it were.

Can anyone tell me is he right, with these slim shower trays with fast flows?

He did show me the waste pipe that came with the tray, it did have a small pipe?

Do the waste fitting have a chrome cover?

I have a electric shower and slim tray, it drained away with no problem.

Dan

The normal outlet size for a shower tray would be 1 1/2" (40mm) and that should really cope with things just fine......maybe he has reduced this to 1 1/4" for some reason?
Can you show us what you mean by a 'small pipe'?

Thanks for your comments folks,

yes the cover is fancy chrome.

The tray itself is 'easy plumb' type and noticed that the pipe is 70mm
on its website.

Here is the link

http://www.bathempire.com/rectangul...ray-with-legs--panel--900x760mm_p22357336.htm

However, now I went to the shower upstairs and noticed it's dripping a bit and opened the plug hole and noticed that the water is half filed already, in the cup.

I then poured some water in the plug hole became aware that when it fills up, it drains away but still keeps the bottom half of the water! As though there is a overflow pipe which drains away excess water but bottom water remains.

So not sure if had done it right :mad:

I doubt that many 1" half , waste pipe trap set ups will cope with any power shower churning out 20 litres a minute ?? (that would probably be the max )

Always the same , we had some bloke who bought a state of the art grohe shower , rain type set up , shower head was as big as a dustbin lid :) what about the waste pipe :) Oh dear :)

Thanks for your comments folks,

yes the cover is fancy chrome.
Is this decorative, covering a typical plughole grill? If so, have you run the shower without the chrome dome?

I then poured some water in the plug hole became aware that when it fills up, it drains away but still keeps the bottom half of the water! As though there is a overflow pipe which drains away excess water but bottom water remains.

So not sure if had done it right :mad:
Sounds OK - you're decribing the water seal.

I would bet the problem is with the top access trap

These come with 2 washers depending on the thickness of the tray if you use the thin washer on a thin tray the top of the trap pushes in too far and makes the gap for water to run away too small.

Remove the top part of the trap and remove the cup and see how fast the water runs away

I would bet the problem is with the top access trap

These come with 2 washers depending on the thickness of the tray if you use the thin washer on a thin tray the top of the trap pushes in too far and makes the gap for water to run away too small.

Remove the top part of the trap and remove the cup and see how fast the water runs away

Will try to have a shower without the chrome dome and will remove the cup, just leaving the hole, which I can't remove, as the side panel have been sealed. Will see how it drains.

I'm still having problem with this shower tray, as the water gathers around the tray and then overflows onto the floor. :(

The plubmber did come back and told us that he did get enough slope as he calls it. Our slim tray came with 'Free high-flow shower waste included with 1 metre flex pipe' which is a 70mm pipe.

Wondering if I should buy a 90mm diameter pipe to drain the water quicker? :?: I have even reduced the flow of the shower but still within few min it over flows quickly. :confused:

You might have a 1 metre flexi pipe that is 70mm, but what follows that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back