Water is not filling up on the Cold water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my power shower stopped working today, making noise but not enough water. After checks in the cold water tank in the loft I realised water level is just on the outlet edges. I also noticed with less force (?) water still fill the tank rom one inlet pipe (with ball valve), but somehow tank is NOT filling up !.

I have some photos taken from the tank. I noticed there are 3 pipes (inlet?) at different heights but only from one pipe (with ball valve) water is pouring now. Is this as expected..?

Somehow water level is not going up as water is exiting via outlet pipes in the same speed. 2 outlets marked as 'Hot water showers' straight goes to hot water tank. Though no pipe is leaking and we are using less water now somehow water still goes via outlet pipes (may be its filling up hot water tank..?)

it may not be weather related as temperature was worst 2-3 weeks ago and didn't had any issues at that time..

Pic showing water level now, though water pours in via one inlet still water level is not going up as water seems to be going down with outlet pipes though not used much
upload_2022-2-4_0-42-9.png

3 inlet (?) pipes, Green one getting water now though not sure if low strength..? No water from pipes marked with red arrow
upload_2022-2-4_0-48-24.png

I also got a rubber rounded washer sort from inside the tank (see photos) whats this ? where this goes..?
upload_2022-2-4_0-52-11.png

While all these going on I have an outside/garden tap which got cold water full flow all the time. BTW only recent big use of water I had was washing 2 cars nearly 3+ hours continuous water use last weekend. Will that can empty my cold water tank..??

How could I know which of these 2 systems I have in my 1940's house though plumping may be not that older..
upload_2022-2-4_1-15-37.png

Attachments

• washer.png
    washer.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There's only 1 inlet there and it's the one with the ballcock. It's probably failed, not uncommon. Isolate mains and change it, then go from there

The other 2 pipes look like overflows.

In a 1940s house you will have diagram 3

in other words mains supply to kitchen sink and anything fed off that like garden tap, washing machine
upstairs will be fed via tank

the green arrow indicates the only feed in to the tank.

assuming you have normal mains pressure at kitchen sink, your problem is the ball cock - turn off mains and fit a new - I suggest you get a good one with a brass nut not a plastic one - you can buy the brass ones separately. You might need a fibre washer as well, they aren’t usually included with the ball cock.

Sponsored Links
There's only 1 inlet there and it's the one with the ballcock. It's probably failed, not uncommon. Isolate mains and change it, then go from there

One overflow
one Open Vent

the washers are probably off the removed lid, part of the By Law 32(?) kit, the vent is supposed to go through it.
From the other pic: it looks like the hot & cold feeds to the shower are at roughly the same height - the hot should be higher

Yes, I understood now. the one with ball valve is the only inlet. Others are overflow pipes.
BTW I found root cause of my issue, nothing to do with tank at all!. There was a flush tank failed an water was repeatedly emptying to garden via overflow pipe. In effect water exiting tank faster than inlet water and tank never got enough water.

Now that I replaced Torbeck valve. all leaks gone and tank is filling well and my shower also working.

Thanks

In a 1940s house you will have diagram 3

in other words mains supply to kitchen sink and anything fed off that like garden tap, washing machine
upstairs will be fed via tank

the green arrow indicates the only feed in to the tank.

assuming you have normal mains pressure at kitchen sink, your problem is the ball cock - turn off mains and fit a new - I suggest you get a good one with a brass nut not a plastic one - you can buy the brass ones separately. You might need a fibre washer as well, they aren’t usually included with the ball cock.

In fact in my case kitchen changed so main stopcock is in study now! on the side wall. I think there is a direct water connection from study (old kitchen) to new kitchen. Also another npipe goes directly to water tank. But I am not clear if my garden hose pipe stop if mains stopcock is closed..??

Other query I have is since in this case I can't connect water softener in the study (not easy to fit waste pipe), whats the best place to put it..? If I place then on inlet to water tank kitchen pipe is not covered. If I place it in kitchen under sink most of other connections to bathrooms etc not covered by the softener. So any suggestions..?

One overflow
one Open Vent

the washers are probably off the removed lid, part of the By Law 32(?) kit, the vent is supposed to go through it.
From the other pic: it looks like the hot & cold feeds to the shower are at roughly the same height - the hot should be higher

Ok. That makes sense.

Assuming my connection type is this one, where is the best place to put my water softener..? Thanks

upload_2022-2-5_0-42-1.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back