Water leak onto Bosch Fridge-Freezer

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
this was damaged by a burst pipe in December. As soon as it is plugged in the 13A plugtop fuse blows noisily, and the 32A MCB trips. I have had a look round the back, where the compressor is, and can't see anything that might have water in it. However, the top front edge of the appliance has push-buttons for on/off and temperature presets for the fridge and freezer, plus "super" and little lights. I think the water might have got into the top part. The water was very dirty and contaminated with soot and chimney tar. I dried off the back with a fan heater before plugging it in.

Is it likely to be repairable, and is there anything I should look at?

I did once have another fridge that failed due to water, and it was the plug-in motor starter, which I was able to replace.

Sponsored Links
What's the E number John? If you remove the fruit & veg trays in the fridge there should be a nameplate on the left hand side.

I will not be at the house for a few days, but I think I may have the instructions and/or guarantee here, which should show the model number.

Sponsored Links
If the control panel got a good dousing with soot charged water from above I suppose it is reasonable to assume some may have found its way into the pcb. First I would remove the panel fascia & check for any signs of damage, (flash-over, burnt components etc). The attached link shows an navigable drawing of the unit http://www.bosch-eshop.com/eshop/bosch/gb/prodp.htm?prod=KGU30605GB/02 The control panel is locked in place by two plastic plugs (one each side) on the underside of the fascia. The fridge door has to be in the open to get at them. Should a new pcb be required they cost around £50.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back