Water leak underneath floating floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm in the process of having a new kitchen fitted and a plumber has moved a radiator and capped off the old water source. One of the caps has been leaking extensively for about 10-12 days. The leak has been sorted but the water has obviously spread underneath the floating chipboard floor and membrane and through the polystyrene insulation which is sitting on top of the concrete subfloor. We realised this because we had rapidly rising damp on 3 walls in the kitchen and into the hall! On one wall the damp has risen a foot. I measured the rate of spread before the plumber stopped the leak and it rose by one inch in 12 hours! And this was about 4-5 foot from the source of the leak.
We now have a dehumidifier in the room and the tide marks are dragging back down the walls and I assume the plaster and breeze blocks will all dry out.
What I'm worried about is whether the water under the floor will dry out too or whether it will remain trapped under the membrane and chipboard.
Any advice please?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the chipboard has been sitting in water for 10+ days then it will need to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that a floating floor would need to be on top of a layer of water?

• Thanks
Reactions: ree

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back