Water leaking from bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. First Post, looking for a little advice please.

I got home last night to find water dripping out of 2 spotlights in my kitchen. I went upstairs to the bathroom directly above and found the shower had been dripping all day. I took the side off of the bath to see the wall immediately behind the taps of the bath saturated and crumbling and the copper pipes showing signs of corrosion. I literally prodded the wall with my pinky and it went straight through. I took all the old silicone off the bath last night and resealed all around the bath but there still seems to be some water seeping down behind the bath. Looks like it's dripping out of the tap gasket or something maybe.
My question is.....how big a job is this likely to be to fix? I'm a confident DIY'er but removing the bath and reboarding the wall is over my head. Do you think it's worth ringing the home insurance or is it a DIY fix? Photo behind the bath attached

Attachments

• 20210104_161638.jpg
    20210104_161638.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 189
Sponsored Links
The tap connectors are a mess and one is definitely leaking. But the damage to the wall is coming from above . Do you have a shower valve with concealed Pipework in the wall ? If you can't work out what's causing the damage you should call your insurers / engage a plumber.

Oh My, looks like a plasterboard wall that's fallen apart as the bath edge seal has been leaking like a sieve over a long time. If it's been leaking that badly then the wall behind the tiles will probably be goosed too.

Lucky if there's enough wall left to allow the seal to stay good for any reasonable amount of time. When you push the wall at the top edge of the bath where the tile meets the bath edge (slowly and gradually), how much does it move?

The cold tap's top hat/nut needs sorted out & a new fibre washer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back